Monday, May 9, 2011

A Starry Trail


A stack of 60 exposures shot at 42mm, f/5, ISO 400 and 30 seconds.

I did not have a shutter release then and clicking a pic after every 30 seconds was tiring and cumbersome. Anyway, I liked this outcome and look forward to doing a better star trail soon.

6 comments:

  1. Lucy in the sky with diamonds :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these possible with a P&S? I mean keeping the camera steady is difficult, but assuming I pull that off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mathematically, it might be possible, but I don't think it will be practically viable. Most P&S cameras have a maximum shutter speed duration of 3-4 seconds. At 67mm (or 2.5x zoom)it would take at least 300 shots to get a shot like the one above. Most P&S batteries won't last that long and we're looking at a lot of minute camera shake possibilities (even if it is rested on a stable surface)

    At 1X, you're looking at approximately 1000 exposures of 3-4 seconds each.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing that out. I'd rather concentrate that much effort for a time-lapse video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. A time-lapse during the daytime would look cool with the recent cloudy weather.

    ReplyDelete